17.3.10

Part 4















When Margaret and I first talked of going on the trip neither of us ever imagined, or anticipated, the great interest that would be engendered. To say we were flabbergasted is putting it mildly.
When I arrived home there were messages on the phone and soon afterwards I had a phone call from a lady in Lincoln who was most interested in hearing about the trip. She, too, had a Bus Pass, and having heard about us she felt inspired to do something similar in the County of Lincolnshire.
The next day a young lady from a Swansea Radio Station rang up and asked if she could interview me live on Radio. I felt very flattered. Then, a few days later a journalist from Cardiff asked if I would be willing to be interviewed for a Women's Magazine. I agreed, and soon, our exploits appeared in print. In the March edition of the W.I. News 2008 there is an article about Margaret and me, and we are both delighted.
But this wasn't the only interest shown. When we were at the end of the W.I. Conference in Rhyl I was asked to give a brief account of our trip to the Glamorgan group of ladies staying at the Hotel, and on the way home I was invited to speak at the W.I. Group Meeting in Pontarddulais in 2008. This is really a great honour which I have accepted.
After returning from the Conference in Rhyl I was invited to speak to our W.I. in Bryncoch about our journey around Wales, and in June, Margaret and I were asked to speak to the Neath Soroptimists. I only had one engagement in July when I went to Briton Ferry. Except for a speaking engagement in August to the Ladies section of the Senior Citizens of Skewen, life got back to normal. In September I spoke to ladies in Briton Ferry and the afternoon Guild in St. Thomas's Church, and I couldn't get over how interested people were to hear about our travels.
October came, and from here on my phone became very busy with people asking me if I would go to speak to their Guild or Society.
I had also been asked if I would record a talk for the Reading Book for the Blind. So I wrote the story out and on Oct. 2nd, made a serial which was put on disc.
During this same month I spoke to the members of Mothers' Union in Bryncoch and on Weds. the 24th I had been invited to speak to the Men's section of the Senior Citizens of Skewen at 2 o'clock in the afternoon A day before this engagement I had been asked if I would speak to the members of Probus in Neath on Weds. evening. The speaker for that evening had been taken ill and was unable to attend. I quickly considered this and said I would, hoping that I would be as enthusiastic in the evening as I hoped to be in the afternoon. But the members of Probus were true gentlemen and very appreciative. The month ended with a visit again to Briton Ferry to speak to another group of ladies.
November was much less hectic when I spoke only to the Bryncoch Senior Citizens Association and another Guild in Briton Ferry.
The year ended on a calmer note when I had no Speaking engagements in December and was able to relax with friends at the various Christmas lunches and dinners which now seem to have become the way of life for the "Golden Oldies". And long may it continue.
The New Year 2008 started off well when I went to Llansawel W.I. to speak, and then to Llangatwg. I had promised to speak to a Ladies group in the Y.M.C.A. but I had to cancel the engagement because I had caught a terrible cold. Before keeping my promise to speak at the Y.M.C.A. on Monday 18th of Feb. I had been to Bethania Chapel in Neath. Up to the end of February I have spoken to seventeen different groups of people - Ladies and Gentlemen.
But the interest in our adventure still continues. I hope to visit St. Peter's and St. Paul's in Cimla in March. Then in April I am looking forward to the Group Meeting in Pontarddulais on the 8th, the Bryncoch Men's Society on the 14th, the afternoon Guild in the Owain Glyndwr in Waunceirch on the 16th, and Creech St. Michael on the 29th.
The Somerset Federation of Women's Institutes celebrate their 90th Anniversary in 2008 and are holding several functions to celebrate. One of these celebrations is to have a tea-party in Creech St. Michael, near Taunton, when the Guests of Honour will be W.I. members and former members who are in their ninetieth year or over. I have been invited, and I deem it a very great honour, to speak to these ladies at their Party on April 29th.
After that I only have three more engagements ~ with members of "Inner Wheel" in May, Resolven W.I. in June and Penarth W.I. in July.
I have been asked if I am tired of giving the same talk over and over. But my answer is no, not really, because I am re-living a very happy episode in my life and hopefully I am encouraging more Senior Citizens to use their free Bus Pass; to be adventurous and travel further than just to their local town. If I were twenty years younger I would have a project to visit one County every year, find a base, and then explore. It is amazing what one can do. So, if you have a Bus Pass - Travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment