22.3.10

Day Nine


Today was a lovely sunny day and I was full of the joys of spring. I got on the bus and said, "Good morning" to the driver in a chirpy way, but obviously he was not as chirpy as I or the cheerful driver who had picked us up in Caernarfon. The journey to Oswestry was very pleasant, but when we got off the bus the weather had changed and again it was cold.
The bus stop was a long way from the town so no way could we drag ourselves to look for a cafe. There was a Supermarket on either side of the road, but neither of them had a restaurant. But there was a very old hotel facing us and we went to investigate. As we walked in, a young man came to meet us and I asked if we could have a coffee. He asked me how many sugars I wanted. I said, "I'll see where my friend is." But my friend was right behind me. Then the young man said that he only had mugs and I said, "I don't care if it's a pint glass as long as I can have some coffee." Again he asked how many sugars and we soon had our mugs of coffee.
We sat near the fire which was half way up the chimney. It was lovely, because by this time it was very cold again outside. It was quiet at first, with two men standing at the bar chatting quietly, but soon the "regulars" came in. The first was a gentleman who had a whisky and smoked a cigar, and obviously this was a daily event. I have never been a smoker myself, but I thought how sad that this man wouldn't be able to do this when the No Smoking order became law in England. Perhaps pubs could have Smoking Rooms as they used to years ago.
The next to come in were two ladies who sat and talked. They smiled at us but we were too far away to have a chat. Then a man came in carrying a leather bag. We wondered who he was because everyone knew him and smiled at him. But we didn't have time to find out. It was time to go. We were total strangers to the people in the Lounge but they had given us a very warm welcome. So we left, caught our bus where we were welcomed by a lady driver with a warm smile. We left the town and had a very pleasant journey, and we soon arrived in Welshpool.
When I was planning the Trip I had contacted the Tourist Information Board in the places where we were staying asking for information and they were all most helpful. When I spoke to the lady in Welshpool I explained what we were doing and that we were hoping to be in Welshpool on the Sunday, and could she tell me if there was a place that would be open for visiting. She recommended a visit to Powis Castle which would be open from 1o'clock. I also asked her if she could recommend an Hotel and when I thanked her she even asked if she could make reservations for us, an offer I gratefully accepted. During our conversation I found out that she has been many times to Bryncoch visiting an old School friend, and I thought that life was full of co-incidences.
Well, we found our Hotel which was near the bus stop and again we had struck lucky. A very good Hotel and excellent food and again the staff was young, pleasant, cheerful and courteous.
So the day ended on a high note and we were looking forward to more adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment